March 5, 2009
Just released recently from HDR Soft is a plug-in that allows you to export photos from Lightroom directly to Photomatix Pro and automatically reimport the processed tone mapped HDR image back into the Lightroom catalog. To use this plug-in you will need to download and purchase the latest version of Photomatix Pro which includes the export plug-in and instructions on how to install in Lightroom for Mac and PC. Here is an initial test I carried out that shows how the plug-in works in Lightroom after installing.
1. To begin with, I selected 5 bracketed exposure photos in the Lightroom Library module. I then went to the File menu and chose Plug-in Extras > Export to Photomatix Pro.
2. This opened the Export dialog, where I used the settings shown here to process the selected photos. Note that I also checked the Automatically re-import into Lightroom Library (sic) option.
3. Lightroom then began to export the selected photos.
4. Here in Photomatix Pro is the initial preview that shows how the tone mapped image will look once processed.
5. I adjusted the Photomatix tone mapping settings to achieve the desired look and then clicked on the Process button.
6. Here now is the Photomatix processed image automatically re-imported back into Lightroom and shown here using the Loupe view in the Library module.