February 3, 2007
A lot has changed in the few short months since Beta 4.1 was released. Here’s a list covering some of these changes. It is by no means a comprehensive list, but should whet appetites for this information:
- Export Presets: One click export options for quick output to email, ftp, etc.
- Metadata Browser: Search in Lens, Camera, Creator, Date, File Type and Location.
- Toolbar: Press T for the toolbar to access Ratings, Flags and a host of other tools.
- Virtual Copies: Create different looks to your image with no disk space overhead.
- Stacks: Bundles similar images together. There is an Auto Stack by Capture Time Feature.
- Folders: The Library now reflects the hard drive. Moving files and folders in LR will move them on the drive.
- Flagging: You can rate an image as Pick, Unflagged or Reject.
- Labels: You can now apply a colour Label to a file.
- Cmd/Ctrl Del change. Rather than sending to trash or recycle bin, this now brings up a dialog to remove or delete Reject images.
- Filters in Filmstrip: You can now select any combination of Rating, Flag and Label in the Filmstrip.
- Quick Develop additions: QD has blacks added, along with collapsible sections and large increment options.
- Keyword Sets: You can now create sets of keywords relevent to events, people, assignments etc, for quicker keywording. The keypad is used to assign the keywords.
- Library Backup: In Preferences you have a large number of options to backup the Library automatically.
- Auto Import Refresh: Auto Import refreshes the view to show the most recently imported file.
- More sort options: Extended list including filename, aspect ratio and flags.
- Survey View: Multiple images can be viewed and rearranged in this new light table feature.
- More Zoom options: You can now zoom from 1:4 to 11:1.
- Spot Removal: You can Clone or Heal spots and blemishes. The tool operates with a circular selection area only.
- Red Eye Reduction: Lightroom allows you to remove red eye.
- Target Adjustment Tool: You can click-drag up and down in the image to affect Tone Curve, Hue, Saturation, Luminance and Greys using this tool.
- Develop Pane On/Off: You can swtich off each pane in Develop.
- HSL additions: There are now 8 sliders per section: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Aqua, Blue, Purple and Magenta.
- Color: The HSL tool has a little brother in the Color tool. 3 sliders for HSL and the same 8 colours as HSL in clickable blocks.
- Crop improvements: You can now click-drag to crop as in Photoshop.
- History and Snapshots: These are now separate Panes. Making a snapshot no longer clears History. You can clear the History list without resetting the image.
- More Web Templates: A lot more HTML and Flash Templates.
- More options: Many more options including Add Copyright Watermark
- Adobe Camera RAW compatibility: When V1 is shipped on the 19th, ACR 3.7 will be released giving interoperability between the two.
In the “didn’t make it” category we have:
- Photo Binders: With a need to change how it operates, a descision was made to leave these out.
- Shoots: As a shoot could be a virtual or real location on the drive, it was too confusing for most.
- Filter Pane: This is replaced by the filters in filmstrip and the Find Pane.