March 27, 2006
Source: Adobe Support Knowledgebase
Issue: Adobe Creative Suite applications include the older PANTONE Solid To Process library instead of the PANTONE Color Bridge library.
Solution: Download the PANTONE Color Bridge library and install it in Adobe Creative Suite applications.
1. Download the Color Bridge library from the PANTONE website at www.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idArticle=735&idSubArea=0&idArea=1 .
Note: To download the library, you must create a MyPantone account. After you create an account, go to Support File + Fun Tools and select Color Bridge Digital Libraries & Tutorial.
2. Save the PantoneColorBridge.sit (Mac OS) or the PantoneColorBridge.exe (Windows) file to your desktop, and then double-click the file to start the installation.
3. In the dialog box which prompts you to select the applications in which the PANTONE Digital Color library will install, select Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
If you have several versions of an Adobe application installed, complete the following procedures to install the library:
– On Mac OS: The Color Bridge installer prompts you for the version to which to install the Color Bridge library.
– On Windows: The Color Bridge installer randomly selects one version to which to install the Color Bridge library; it also installs the library into its own folder at C:/Program Files/PANTONE(R) color bridge(TM)/PANTONE color bridge CMYK PC/Application Support Files/Adobe/. You can copy the files from the appropriate PANTONE application folder to the following Adobe application folders:
C:/Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop [version] /Presets/Color Swatch/Adobe Photoshop Only
C:/Program Files/Adobe/Illustrator [version] /Presets/Swatches
C:/Program Files/Adobe/InDesign [version] /Presets/Swatch libraries
4. In Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, choose Windows and select Swatches to open the Swatches palette.
5. In the Swatches palette, click the small arrow in the top right corner and complete the following procedures:
– In Photoshop: Select the new Color Bridge library.
– In Illustrator: Select Open Swatch Library and then select the Color Bridge library.
– In InDesign: Choose the New Color Swatch option and click the color mode drop down list to select the Color Bridge library.
Note: The PANTONE Color Bridge installer creates a PANTONE Color Bridge folder in C:/Program Files/ which contains a user guide with detailed installation instructions.
PANTONE released the new Color Bridge library in 2005 to replace the Solid To Process library. Adobe Creative Suite 1.0 and 2.0 were released before PANTONE replaced the Solid To Process library with the Color Bridge library. While you may continue to use the Solid To Process library to support legacy files, you should use the PANTONE Color Bridge library for new projects. The PANTONE Color Bridge Digital Library download and tutorial is available at www.pantone.com .