January 16, 2006
Written by Rob Galbraith
Camera Bits has posted a new beta release of Photo Mechanic 4.4.1 for Windows and Mac. The changes since 4.4, as noted in the accompanying Read Me, are listed below:
Photo Mechanic now requires Mac OS X 10.3.5+ or 10.4.
The Revert TIFF-based RAW to original command now has an option to backup a photo’s existing IPTC/XMP (e.g. embedded by Photo Mechanic 4.4+) into an XMP sidecar file.
Update IPTC/XMP now synchronizes the tag and color class between a RAW+JPEG pair.
• RAW+JPEG can now join across folders. Add the folder containing RAW photos to a contact sheet along with the folder containing JPEG photos. If the names match then the RAW and JPEG photos can be joined as RAW+JPEG pairs. This is very useful for the Update IPTC/XMP command and image preferences like tag and color class.
• Fixed problems with certain variables used for folder naming in Ingest.
• (Windows) Fixed several problems and made improvements to the Favorites and Navigator panes. Fixed a problem with drag & drop to Favorites folder not copying to the correct folder. Mapped network drives are now queried for mount status before adding to Navigator and Favorites to prevent system error dialogs. Creating a new folder in the Navigator now makes the folder visible and selects it for renaming. Drag reordering of Favorites now shows an insertion indicator.
• Added a new “Remember folders…” command that remembers the state of a multi-folder contact sheet as a Favorite that can later be launched.
• Added a checkbox to Contact Sheet pane of the Preferences dialog that allows you to turn off the generation of high-quality thumbnails for speedy browsing of large TIFF photos.
• Fixed a problem where some photos would be skipped when performing lossless JPEG rotation.
• Exif thumbnails are now updated for Save As with the JPEG format.
• Fixed a problem with adjusting capture date/times on Nikon NEF files.
• IPTC Info navigates through visible items only, and it navigates through selected items only if the photo on entry is selected.
• IPTC Info navigation now makes sure that the Contact Sheet that it came from scrolls to keep the current photo visible on screen.
• Added a JPEG size estimator to the Send Photos via Email dialog.
• Brought back the (Mac) Command-Ctrl-F1 through Command-Ctrl-F9 or (Win) Shift+F1 through Shift+F9 keyboard shortcuts for filtering individual color classes. F1 views all color classes.
• Added keyboard shortcuts for Select Rotated and Select Others (invert).
• Source and destination paths are refreshed after drag and drop copy/move to Navigator and Favorites folders.
• Locked files that are copied or ingested are now unlocked on the destination.
• Fixed several minor crop tool annoyances when cropping in zoom mode.
• IPTC records formatted as UTF-8 are now recognized.
• IPTC category lists with illegal UTF-8 encodings no longer hangs PM when clicking on the popup menus in the IPTC dialogs.
• You can now select and change or select and delete items from the IPTC Stationery Lists editor when the words have illegal character sequences in them (characters replaced by ‘?’).
• Fixed a problem when captioning malformed JPEG photos that have duplicate Photoshop markers or IPTC records in the Exif block (e.g. from LightRoom).
• Improved speed of captioning large PSD files.
• Fixed problems captioning certain PSD files.
• Fixed a problem with certain photos that had incomplete resolution info when using the Set Resolution tool.
• (Mac) Fixed problems with setting Photo Mechanic as the application to launch for Image Capture.
• (Mac) Added ‘Esc’ key shortcut to close FTP Progress window.
• (Win) Fixed problems with Color Class Filter widget when mouse is released outside the bounds of the control.
• (Mac) Having the Favorites/Navigator pane collapsed in Contact Sheet windows no longer causes a slowdown.
• (Win) Fixed highlighting problem when tabbing between IPTC fields and improved tab ordering logic.
• (Win) Added double-buffered drawing of the thumbnails in the IPTC dialogs and Adjust Capture Times dialog.
• (Win) Alt+] and Alt+[ now work as advertised in the IPTC Info dialog for Save & -> and Save & < -.
• (Win) Navigator no longer expands paths on double-click of a folder.